Spicer Art Conservation, LLC. has been caring for collections from museums, historical societies, state agencies, businesses, collectors and private owners since 1995. The focus has always been to provide long-term collection care and preservation of artifacts while working closely with the needs of the owner.
The menu on your right can help you navigate through our website. Also click here to learn about current projects. We hope you enjoy our website and we look forward to hearing from you!
Also Join us on Facebook. And visit our blog, Inside the Conservator's Studio.
Spicer Art Conservation is pleased to be part of the efforts to recover the earliest recorded sounds dating from 1878. In 1878, in St Louis, Thomas Edison's phonograph is demonstrated to an audience. The recording from that demonstration was captured on a piece of tin-foil which was later folded and stuffed into an envelope where it stayed until it was found in the miSci (formerly Schenectady Museum) archives. The Museum wanted to make it readable again and was told it could be done, but only if the ripped, creased, and crushed pieces of the foil could be flattened. miSci contacted Spicer Art Conservation and we were thrilled to take on such a unique task. Once it left our studios it went to California's Berkeley Lab where the surface was read by scanning the surface. Now, finally the sound has been revealed. The 1+ minute recording consists of a brass instrumental, the recitation of "Mary Had a Little Lamb" and "Old Mother Hubbard" along with some laughter and inaudible speech. A more detailed account can be read on the blog at: Inside the Conservator's Studio and a viewing of the unveiling event can be watched at: www.misci.org
Gwen Spicer is a trained object, paper, textile, and upholstery conservator and Fellow of AIC. Her background includes treatment of a wide variety of artifacts, including paper, textiles, objects & upholstery. She often collaborates with other conservators in order to create the best expertise that the project demands. This allows for a greater variety of artifacts to be treated and services performed.
* Treatments examples of the variety of treatments we handle on a day to day basis, gives a step-by-step method of how we do business with both individuals and institutions.
* Collection Management examples of the variety of collection care services we provide; from storage of collections, to emergency preparedness.
* Training & Workshops examples of the variety of training services we provide.
* Mannequins & Mounts samples of exhibition and storage mounts we provide, as well as mannequins and archival framing.
* Grant Funded Projects grants we have received, and surveys we have completed, for various institutions, including Conservation Assessment Program (CAP) surveys.
* Current Projects projects that are in progress.
* Portfolio allows you to browse through images of some artifacts we have treated - View before and after treatment images of flags, banners, samplers, embroideries, quilts, coverlets, costumes and accessories, among others.
* About Us introduces you to the Spicer Art Conservation, LLC team.
* Contact Us provides the necessary information to contact Spicer Art Conservation, LLC.